Ah, the welcome email. Such a simple thing. So often overlooked when you’re building an online course.
Your welcome email is basically the “Quick Start Guide” for your online course, and it is absolutely integral to not only making sure that your students have a good experience, but also… wait for it… reducing refunds.
Think about it. Some lovely person spends a lot of money on your course. They go out on a limb. They decide to give you and your methods a shot.
In those few minutes after they press BUY NOW, your customers are at their most vulnerable.
They might be questioning their investment. They might be feeling bad about spending money on something that, let’s face it, might feel a little frivolous to them. They haven’t seen the results for themselves yet. Is this really going to work?
And if they immediately feel confused or don’t know how to proceed, that feeling is amplified.
That’s why it is absolutely crucial that you’re there to step in, take them by the hand, and lead them into your course. It’s not enough to just send them a link to log in. You have to really roll out the welcome mat and show them how things work. To let them know how to proceed and succeed with your course.
With trumpets and maybe a little dance number.Did you know that your WELCOME EMAIL can actually help reduce refund requests for your online course??? It's true! You won't get a second chance to make this critical first impression!Click To Tweet
The welcome email students receive after enrolling in your course needs to do a few things.
Firstly, it needs to provide reassurance. They’ve just dropped a significant amount of their hard-earned cash on you, so remind them of what they’re getting and why it’s worth it.
Secondly, it needs to give them allllll the pertinent details. This is the nuts and bolts of how the course works, and how they can be successful.
Thirdly, it should inspire them to take action and get started immediately. Your job does not end once that purchase clears. Even if your course doesn’t launch immediately, you need to make them feel immediately included in your posse by asking them to interact with you or other students. Ask them to do something right away.
Below is my anatomy of a solid course welcome email.
You can copy and paste the formula below right into your email autoresponder. Then just fill in your details. Everything here may not apply to your specific course, which is A-OK! Just delete those bits and include the parts that do apply.
Your Copy & Paste Welcome Email Formula
- Huzzah! Welcome to [Your Course Title] – I’m so glad you’re here!
- Objective of the course and why it’s important
- How they can get started
- Evergreen courses – Module 1 will cover [summary]. Log in to get started now [login link].
- Live courses – Class begins on [date] – Don’t worry, we’ll send you a reminder via email to log in and get started.
- How the course works [an overview of the structure]
- “Here are your next steps:”
- Bookmark the login page (mandatory – this cuts down on so many emails later!)
- Add these dates for live calls to your calendar
- Call To Action (CTA) – Ask them to take action to participate immediately. This helps them feel committed and involved. Examples:
- Join the Facebook group/Slack channel, introduce yourself, and tell us X
- Take this survey and tell us X
- Hit reply and let me know X
- Post a snap of X on Instagram and use this #hashtag
- (Evergreen courses that start immediately) Sign in and get started on Module 1!
- Closing statement!
- P.S. This is what to do if you have any questions [how they should contact you]
Course Welcome Email Example
Welcome to Confidence on Stage! I’m so glad that you’re with us on this journey!
We’re here to break through your fears and anxieties and teach simple, effective methods for practicing speaking in public, so that you can be cool as a cucumber when you’re called to speak in front of your professional colleagues at seminars and conventions.
Public speaking allows us to connect with people on a personal level, in a way that just isn’t possible through reports, white papers or emails. You have valuable expertise and insight to share with the world, and it is SO important that you be able to spread that message confidently and without fear!
In Module 1: Everyday Exercises for Confidence, we’ll be covering simple exercises that you can practice as you interact with people in your everyday life. Click here to log in and get started on Module 1!
You’ll get access to a new module of the course each week for the next five weeks. Each Monday, you’ll receive an email introducing what we’ll be working on that week. Open it up, watch the video, download the cheatsheet, and start practicing!
Here’s what you should do next:
1. Add these live Q&A dates to your calendar. These will take place on Facebook Live, and I’ll send you a link on the morning of each one so you don’t miss it.
- Friday, January 5 @ 12pm EST
- Friday, January 19 @ 12pm EST
- Friday, February 2 @ 12pm EST
2. Bookmark this course login page. This is where you’ll sign in to view all of your course lessons.
3. Join the Facebook group! This is where you can ask any questions and get support between our live Q&As. Introduce yourself and tell us what your BIGGEST fear is about public speaking. Don’t be shy – we all have that thing that makes our stomachs turn!
That’s it! Dig in and get started on Module 1! I’ll be in your inbox next Monday with your next module.
Here’s to confident speaking!
Xox, [Your Name]
P.S. – If you have any questions, feel free to email me at [your email]. I’m happy to help!